Makes: 6 to 8 servings
Prep 30 mins
Bake 1 hr
This homey dessert combines raspberries and peaches to make a juicy filling for a flaky pie crust. A woven crust topping completes the pretty cobbler.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening or shortening
- 1/3-1/2 cup ice-cold water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups peeled and sliced peaches
- 3 cups fresh red raspberries, or blackberries
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Light cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- For cobbler crust, in a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually pour in water and blend to form a dough. Divide into two portions of one-third and two-thirds.
- On waxed paper, pat or roll the larger portion of dough to form a 12-inch square. Fit into the bottom and up the sides of an 8x8x2-inch baking dish. Trim pastry even with top of the dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the 1-1/2 cups sugar, the cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in peaches and berries. Transfer to pastry-lined baking dish. Dot with butter or margarine.
- Roll remaining pastry into a 9x8-inch rectangle. Cut into eight 1-inch-wide strips. Arrange over fruit in a lattice. Trim to fit dish or tuck under bottom pastry.
- Mix the yolk with the milk. Brush the mixture over pastry. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 1 hour or until crust browns and filling is bubbly. Serve warm with cream or ice cream, if you like. Makes 6 to 8 servings.