Makes: 6 servings
Prep 15 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
- 1 oz. butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. red cabbage, quartered, woody core cut away, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice ¼ pint apple juice Salt and freshly ground black pepper 8 oz. blackberries
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring until softened. Stir in the red cabbage then the sugar, vinegar, spice and apple juice. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook gently for 20-30 minutes, stirring from time to time until the red cabbage is tender. Add the blackberries and cook gently for 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving dish, serve with roast turkey, chicken or casseroled lamb or beef.